- Address 333 Hegenberger Road, Suite 503, Oakland, CA, 94621
Join the Corps!
Do you believe that when a child learns to read, they are empowered to transform their future? Super Stars Literacy is looking for individuals like you to join our cohort of dedicated instructors. Our program works with Kindergarten, First, and Second grade students in underserved schools to provide daytime intervention and after-school literacy programming. Group Leaders serve in a cohort of 25 members, all of whom are interested in education, committed to making a lasting impact in their communities, and are excited about working with elementary-aged students.
Group Leader Position Description
Group Leaders (GLs) are AmeriCorps members who provide in-school literacy intervention instruction. GLs work with classroom teachers to provide one-on-one and small group intervention support with support from their Program Manager.
- Day Time Intervention
- Provide targeted literacy support using small group and 1:1 instruction.
- Input and analyze student data trends using digital data management systems.
- Build relationships with teachers and school administrators.
- Prepare materials and internalize content for during school interventions and after school programming.
- Weekly Professional Development
- Explore relevant trends in literacy instruction and effective engagement strategies
- Collaborate with grade level cohorts to generate relevant content and activities
- Expand our understanding of child development and how to effectively manage a classroom and support students social and emotional growth
- Receive 1:1 feedback based on observation
- Participate in AmeriCorps Civic Reflection series and career-building workshops
- Interest in working with children (experience in literacy tutoring desirable but not required)
- A positive and resilient attitude
- Communication skills necessary to work with children, school staff, and volunteers
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage a full workload
- Flexibility and poise when dealing with stressful situations
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Demonstrated commitment to community service
- Bilingual desirable but not required
- Commitment to the full term of service
- All members must pass criminal history check, including FBI, DOJ, and NSOPW searches
- Proof of tuberculosis clearance
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Proof of citizenship or legal permanent resident status.
Position Duration: Immediate to June 2019. Members must serve a minimum of 450 hours.
Member Benefits: All members receive a monthly living allowance of approximately $1,040 before taxes and deductions. In addition, members may be eligible for health coverage and loan forbearance while in service. Members who complete a full term of service will receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award for approximately $1,200, which can be used to pay back loans or for future educational expenses.
About AmeriCorps: AmeriCorps is a national service commitment that meets a community’s critical needs in education, safety, health, and the environment. Super Stars Literacy partners with AmeriCorps to provide full-time service opportunities in title 1 schools in Oakland. Super Stars Literacy AmeriCorps members dedicate 450 hours of service per term in exchange for leadership and career development, and a living allowance supported by our AmeriCorps grant. AmeriCorps is an exciting opportunity for service-minded individuals who are passionate about education and the nonprofit sector. For more information, please visit www.americorps.gov.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and complete the application posted on RecruiterBox at the following link: https://superstarsliteracy.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0f2ph